[OM] More (strange) XP networking data points

Subject: [OM] More (strange) XP networking data points
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 16:05:40 -0400
I finally dragged out the old Win2000 machine which has been setting
forlorn in the corner for about 3 years or more.  It didn't have a
monitor and I had to scrounge up and old AT keyboard and convert it to a
PS/2 connector and attach a serial mouse.  But it surprised me.  I
attached it to my desktop computer's monitor, hit the power switch and
it booted and was off and running.

Then I joined it to the network by doing nothing more than editing the
name of the workgroup from it's old name to the new name.  I started
with pinging the laptop and the desktop and vice-versa.  Although the
Win2000 machine and the laptop were playing nicely together it acted
just as the laptop had when trying to talk to the desktop.  It couldn't
ping the desktop by name or address even though the desktop could ping it.

Then I tried to get fancier in Windows by asking to see the computers in
the workgroup.  It saw all three.  Tried that same thing on the laptop
and it too saw all three.  Then I accessed the laptop's shared files.
No problem.  Then I went to the laptop and asked to see the Win200
machine's shared files.  It asked me to login which I did. (amazing that
I remembered the user id and password).  I was then even able to see
some three year old photo files.

Then the dark side reappeared.  When trying to explain these findings to
my wife I decided to show her.  No go.  The things that had just worked
no longer worked.  Trying to access the list of computers in the
workgroup said there was no access to the workgroup on both the Win2000
machine and the laptop.  But I could still ping everything that was
previously pingable but not necessarily by name.

I'm going nuts.  I'm beginning to strongly suspect the router.  It's the
only place where all these things intersect.

Chuck Norcutt