Re: [OM] What happens when your cable cutters don't work

Subject: Re: [OM] What happens when your cable cutters don't work
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:41:17 -0400
He is almost but not quite completely recovered.  Immediately after the
accident and for about 2 years he suffered from bouts of very bad
vertigo.  As a result he lost his FAA license.  He was also getting all
sorts of bizarre vertigo treatments which were not doing any good.

That caused me to start researching the net and I eventually discovered
what's called the "Epley maneuver".
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epley_maneuver>  Strangely, and despite
the fact that it has been known to medical science since 1980, most
doctors have never heard of it.  However, it's a standard part of every
US Navy flight surgeon's training.  Scott managed to find a physician in
the Buffalo area who was an ex navy flight surgeon who was very familiar
with the Epley maneuver.  Normally, if it's going to work it works on
the first try.  Scott's case took two tries but the second try
eliminated all of the vertigo with the exception of very mild instances
which occur randomly but for only a couple of seconds once or twice/day.

That occassional mild vertigo is still enough to prevent him from
regaining his FAA flight license.  But the army considers it an
unimportant thing as they always fly with two pilots.  So, he still
flies Blackhawks from time to time.  Enough to maintain his flight
proficiency.  He's at training camp this week and, AFAIK, has been
flying all week.

Chuck Norcutt