Re: [OM] (OM) OT Fine detail

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Fine detail
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 19:52:29 -0500
I'll disagree with the Moose for a second here. The evident grain in
those pictures may be entirely legitimate. There are ways to process
Tri-x which will result in baseball sized grain clumps. Also, when
digitized, most BW film stocks will end up with greatly exaggerated
grain effects. Resizing for web display only seems to make it worse
unless pre-blurring (creating a fake antialiasing characteristic) is
applied to the image prior to downsizing,

As to the current aesthetic of ultra-fine details, I'm agreeing with
both Views. There has been for the past dozen years an unhealthy
emphasis on mega detail in mega sized prints. However, there seems to
be a healthy backlash with LOMA and pinhole style photography being
rather popular. But that has been somewhat fleeting. Anybody used
their LensBaby lately?

AG

--
Ken Norton