Re: [OM] Why we do it

Subject: Re: [OM] Why we do it
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:59:08 -0500
> Did not find that to be the case with my samples. Which was a nice
feature. When I inquired about their services, they invited me to send them
4 8x10s. I got 8 8x10s back by FedEx Overnight. Four with their color
correction, four with mine. Mine were better. But not by much. That said,
and just to put a kink in the works, the actual canvas print of the harbor
scene is a smidge better than the paper print. Most noticeable in the purple
line on the float at the bottom of the picture. Probably not big enough in
the web image to show anything.

Subject matter makes a big difference here. For portraiture, I really do
like the corrections they make. However, more often than not, what comes
from my E-1 needs very little correction--and they've told me so. But
non-people pictures become much more subjective and I do tend to request the
uncorrected products. Besides, they are less expensive. When the order is
for something large enough, I prefer to keep a little more of my own money.

Millers has proofing profiles available which allow us to visually determine
how the the print will look through their stuff. I've had mixed results
using it, but overall, it's pretty close. I had a print done which I used
their profile. Before using the proofing profile I thought I had the image
looking pretty nice, but the profile made it look pretty yucky. Not
believing it, I went ahead and ordered the print as-is. The final result was
just as yucky as the profile told me it was going to be. It's wierd, because
if I get it looking great on screen, the print looks not quite as great, but
if it looks yucky on screen, it's going to be just as yucky in print.

It reminds me of trying to mix on Yamaha studio monitors. It's nearly
impossible to get it to sound good, but if you can you know it's going to
sound great everywhere else.

AG