Re: [OM] IMG - Our Garden

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG - Our Garden
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 20:22:15 -0700
On 6/22/2011 3:24 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Yes,
> Very nice.  Looks like the  60D is getting the macro exercise these
> days.
>
> Wondering when the Tammy macro gets out, Mike

The Tamron 90/2.8 gets carried around a lot, but used seldom, for a couple of
reasons.

The Tammy is sharpest wide open, well, maybe at f4, but noticeably less sharp
at f8. VERY different, about the reverse,
from my older Zuiko, Tamron and Kiron MF macro lenses. That's wonderful for
copy work and intentional shallow DOF. Not
as great for flower, bug and such shots in the field.

The Tammy 28-300s, perhaps the VC (IS) version particularly (more testing
needed . . .) are very sharp in the central
area at 2-300 mm when close focused. (The VC, at least mine, is distinctly less
sharp than the original in that range at
longer focal distances and infinity.) I don't even know what their edge
sharpness and field curvature may be in those
circumstances, as it's of no consequence.

The combination of great sharpness at long working distances and moderate
apertures for greater DOF is simply the best I
have found for close-up/macro shooting in the field. I'm just not going to get
shots like this with the macro lens,
well,  not nearly as often.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Sugarloaf_Ridge_SP&image=_MG_2819fp.jpg>

You can see from the full frame version to the left that I composed for FF, so
the subject isn't in the center, but is
nevertheless nicely in focus and pretty darn sharp. This shot was taken
quickly, in case the bug decided to leave, hand
held, in moderate shade.

Don't get me wrong. It's possible to get excellent close-up nature results with
the 90/2.8. The 28-300s are just more
convenient and give away little if anything in the central regions (the whole
60D frame) when small apertures are used
for DOF. And the reach is fabulous.

If I were to set up with tripod for each shot, with Plamp, wind/sun
screen/shade/diffusers, maybe fill flash, etc. the
story might be different, perhaps better in some ways, but with fewer feeding
bugs captured. But I'm usually on the
move, using the tripod seldom, moving continuously between macro, middle
distance and landscape, and so on. Well, you've
wandered and photographed with me. . .

Moose