Re: [OM] Thanks for All of the Hard Drive Replacement Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Thanks for All of the Hard Drive Replacement Advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 07:14:48 -0400
A reminder that my last Seagate drive purchase failed (softly**) in
about 6 months.  That's not meant to be an indictment of Seagate, only
that the three years or longer life I've come to expect from drives
doesn't always happen.

I'd suggest you immediately purchase another 500GB drive to be cloned
periodically and held in reserve.  Cloning the boot drive requires a
target drive at least as large as the drive to be cloned.

** The drive's SMART system reports that it's error rate has been
exceeding specs lately and that it may very well fail in the future.

Chuck Norcutt