[OM] Off-topic, Ham-Radio

Subject: [OM] Off-topic, Ham-Radio
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 22:18:23 -0700 (PDT)
I really dont know the answer to your question, but if I were to guess...it is
probably technology driven.  Long time ago, part of the hobby was customizing
your equipment, the way you would customize a car, which always led to
performance improvement of some sort.  Now this is not really possible with the
advances of digital devices.  Built not bought is reserved for just a very few
individuals and ARRL realizes that one needs an advanced degree in order to
design.  So most of the hams today are really just ham gear users...:)

More interesting question is why you want to get involved with it.  I have a
receiver that covers the spectrum(s) allocated to ham transmissions and have
listened to the dialog thats going on...if you ask me,
nothing is more boring than bunch of peeps trying to keep boring conversation
alive... (I plan on installing a transceiver in my car, just in case of a
breakdown somewhere high in the mountains I could transmit my coordinates...)
Also, if you want to be part of an emergency network, but thats about it,
otherwise is like sitting in front of your computer, but connected via the 28K
modem...:)

I will be watching your ham activities with interest, since long time ago I
wanted to get involved with the hobby for the reasons you do.  Feel free to
share either on or off list.  If I am wrong, I would like to know about it.

Best

Boris

From:   Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Mon, 6 Jun 2011 10:38:06 -0500

So, as I mentioned last week, I've been nooding around with finally breaking
down and taking the Ham Radio tests. I'm a little concerned, though. I'm
obviously missing something.

I ain't roundest cookie on the sheet, but the tests seem too easy. Without
ANY studying, I'm averaging 80-85% of either the Technician or the General.
I'm not doing quite that well with the Extra, but still not bad. A wee bit
of studying or looking over the test questions should address that. It's not
like the CCNA test, that's for sure.

So, what am I missing?

Obviously, I will actually look up some regulation issues so I actually know
what the limits are, but the questions seem to be simplified to the
lowest-common-demoninator. It's not at all like the old tests where you had
to know how to build a transceiver from scrap parts from a washing machine.

AG