Re: [OM] OT Totally OT (Toyota 4x4)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Totally OT (Toyota 4x4)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 17:06:08 -0500
> I had lusted for an FJ since they arrived in 2007. I was working as a Toyota
> salesman (for a short time) after retiring from the PD.

Test drove a loaded Highlander yesterday. I think the previous owner
must have had it "chipped". I should have clocked the 0-60 time, but I
almost swallowed my molars. Got rubber (all wheel drive) in first and
second and when it hit third I was already well past any legal limit
and not showing much sign of reduced rate of accelleration. I
mentioned to the salesman that it was a little more peppy than others
I've driven and he acknowledged that it was unlike any he'd driven
before. There was an aftermarket intake on it and I suspect the
exhaust was also high-flow. My wife test drove it later and said that
she was going over 90 when she merged on the Interstate and the
on-ramp is all uphill. To quote her: "That was fun!"

Honestly, I've never driven a V6 which held you back in the seat like
that. Must have had a powerband that extended over a 3500 RPM range.
It cornered well, too. If I stuck some slicks on it and some
aftermarket shocks, I bet I could use it for autocrossing.

Alas, they want too much money for it.

AG