Re: [OM] Olympus OM for sale in ebay by DrT

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus OM for sale in ebay by DrT
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 10:03:15 +0100
I suspect Chris will be along soon to remind us what an acronym is - and is
not.

Best I know is that BOOWU is a telegraphic code - one of very many used to
allow dealers to order all manner of Leitz items with speed (by telegram!),
precision, but at minimum cost, since just one (quasi)-word refers
explicitly to one stock item. So how *I* pronounce it could well be
different from the way Ernst Leitz himself pronounced it. And I suspect
Oskar Barnack did not even think of pronouncing it. And it doesn't matter,
because it was only intended for telegraphic use.

A list of some of the numerous codes can be seen here
http://tinyurl.com/3coryf4 - it's a Google Books preview of a Leitz General
Catalogue.

And the possible misinterpretation of one of them can be seen here:
http://tinyurl.com/NOOKY-HESUM - which is *not* NSFW (apart from the page
title, which probably means that it is indeed NSFW).

 :-)

Piers