[OM] Can Cybersync battery receivers/transmitters trigger a large flash

Subject: [OM] Can Cybersync battery receivers/transmitters trigger a large flash bulb?
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 20:01:47 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: timhughes@xxxxxxxx
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for asking about the Cybersyncs. Yep, still plenty of flashbulbs
of various flavors yet to go. I found
the "mother load" at my mother's of course. Most numerous are the GE
6B's. I would be happy to sacrifice one in the name of science.

I did like your analogy of lighting a candle in triggering the FB.
 From my digging around about this, the older cheapo FB brackets just
used 3V or so to start the burn--less reliable and I suspect requires a
more prolonged current to ignite.
 Now I sprung a bit more dosh for a replacement 22.5 V
battery in lieu of the two D cell solution and it has a cap at the end
battery module for the FB bracket. I searched around for new caps, but
I couldn't find
any, though I am no expert at finding oddball caps.

I tried a few bulbs to see if it fired reliably with the PC socket
before (on the 2N but not the OM2 I was using) and it seemed fine
even with another auxiliary FB hooked up in a floor lamp. I wouldn't
think a very long pulse with the cap in the circuit would
be necessary--perhaps it is leaky. I kinda -sorta remember though that
the cheapo yabe radiotriggers would not even fire some
electronic flashes, but perhaps I am misremembering an old post. I must
say I was very surprised and disappointed the FB didn't fire with the
radiotrigger in the hotshoe. Perhaps I should have tested the cap
specifically and not just assessing if the FB would fire.

I bet Tim would have a handle on this. I'll cc him this directly.
Haven't heard form him for awhile. Hope all is well.

I too am enamored of the FP option and had visions of macro fill flash
at any
speed using various size  FP FB's radio triggered
with various diffusers.  A more flexible and more powerful F280, No? So
far mostly a thought experiment . I am still curious if  TTL auto mode
will meter the FB's properly in FP mode. Now Xsync will still work with
the FP FB's , but one must drag the shutter quite a bit for it to work
well
--not as elegant.

Still in the Dark, Mike

I sent the following reply to Paul Buff, Inc. after receiving a "we
don't know
about FP timing" reply from their tech support.  Got any bulbs left,
Mike?
Maybe I  can loan you my CyberSyncs sometime after I get home Wednesday
night.
I'm interested to know the outcome.

Chuck Norcutt

SLR and
> the last of the OM line of cameras to support FP synchronization
(focal plane
> flash bulbs) as well as X sync for electronic flash.ÂÂSelection of
the sync
> speed is via a two position switch near the lens mount.
>
>  You are correct about the timing for FP bulbs.ÂÂUnlike electronic
flash
> (which can only be fired at shutter speeds slow enough that both
curtains of
> a focal plane shutter are fully open), FP bulbs are
specificallyÂÂdesigned
> for use with focal plane shutters and can be used at any shutter
speed.ÂÂThey
> have a very long burn time which, to assure compete coverage of the
image
> plane, must be at least as long as the X-sync time for the camera.
For the
> OM-2 that's at least 1/60 second and I suspect large FP bulbs may
have burn
> times of 1/30 second or longer for the even larger and
slower-shuttered
> medium format SLRs of the day. In addition to the long burn time
there is
> also an extended ignition time.ÂÂThat simply means that it takes the
bulb
> some appreciable time to start burning at a constant rate which is
necessary
> for even illumination as the slit formed by the focal plane shutter
traverses
> the image plane. So, you are also correct thatÂÂthe timing for FP
sync trig
  gers the bulb well before the shutter starts to open.ÂÂI appreciate
the
information on the 1/4000th latency of the CyberSync.ÂÂI don't have
precise
knowledge of how that will affect an FP bulb but suspect that something
that
fast is in the range of random noise for something with the long ramp
up time
of an FP bulb.

>  What I had hoped you might be able to supply me with was the amount
of time
> that the CyberSync trigger signal is actually being transmitted. Our
concern
> is that it might not be long enough to assure reliable
ignition.ÂÂIt's sort