Re: [OM] OM Zuiko 24mm f/2.0, how is its performance?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Zuiko 24mm f/2.0, how is its performance?
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:27:42 +0200
*Hi all,

A bit late to this thread, but I wanted to chime in anyway...

I recently did a comparative test of several brands of 24mm lenses. The
clear winner was, guess what -- the Zuiko MC 24mm f/2.8.

This lens is a real GEM of the OM system, IMHO. The f2 version, although
very good (and I believe it to be the best in its class, the exclusive 24/2
"club") had more lateral colour than the 2.8 version -- still less than most
competitors, but it was almost non-existant on the 2.8!

Of course, wide open it loses contrast and sharpness, like any other fast
lens in the world... and designing a fast lens may impair performance a bit
-- but when you need the speed, you need it!

Unlike other brands, the Zuiko line had no pro/consumer division. The
choice, especially within wides, was between the extra-fast F2 version and
the very compact form-factor of the slower versions -- of equal (if not
higher) quality.

OTOH, it seems to me that the 21mm's from the OM line perform a bit better
*on digital sensors* than the 24mm's, while on film is the opposite!

Cheers,*
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)