Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD...

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 15:52:15 -0500
> Here in Houston we have bad drivers of all colors, creeds, races and
> religions, but my personal favorite is the aggressive Prius driver.

I have a Prius. I don't know how you can be aggressive in it. It's
underpowered, slow, corners like a cow in mud and generally is one of
the most lame excuses for a car there is. Oh, and it is simply
miserable for somebody like me who is 6' 4" tall. Yet, there is a
sweet joy in getting almost 50 MPG and taking no more than 10 gallons
of fuel when it comes time to fill the bladder.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving the car and saw a dead raccoon in
the road. As I've been driving Jeeps for years and years I just went
to straddle it when I realized that this flattened roadkill was still
tall enough to do serious damage to the Prius, so I had to steer
around it. It looks like tire treads on the highway (gators) from
blown tires have caused more damage to the entire fleet of Prius than
all other things combined.

Oh, one reason to drive a little more aggressively in the Prius is
that when accelerating, it's counter-intuitive. Most vehicles are most
efficient doing slow starts, but the Prius needs to be stomped on.
Evidently, the most efficient acceleration is with 1/3 throttle. 1/3
throttle is pretty heavy into the torque of the electric motor so it
does get up and scoot for the first 30 MPH then it turns into a dog.

AG