Re: [OM] OMs and celebrity on TOP

Subject: Re: [OM] OMs and celebrity on TOP
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 14:23:51 -0500
> Moose = If it is a photograph, it was taken with a camera, but that's not the
> important thing about it.

It's actually a pretty simple equation:

Photographer + Technology = Photograph

To achieve a certain level of photograph you either need a better
photograph or better technology. A poor photographer with incredible
technology will frequently achieve equivalent quality results to an
incredible photographer with poor technology. But there is most
definitely a sliding scale between the two and the level of photograph
isn't static. An incredible photographer with incredible technology
can result in an incredible photograph.

However,

In the case of MJ's assumptions about BW+Street+Film=Leica, he's a bit
off his rocker only because his experience has shown him that more
often than not, to achieve a certain result (usually not seen in
technical details, but in the timing of the photograph--capturing the
moment, as well as other clues). I see it in my own photography--when
I shoot in the style of Leica my photographs take on a different look
than if I shoot in the style of Olympus. Depending on the camera, I'm
able to achieve the results of Leica without shooting a Leica. I can
shoot the OM-3Ti more like a Leica than I can the E-1.

AG