Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 30, Issue 3

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 30, Issue 3
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 10:22:30 -0500
That was me, Andrew.  I have already scored one of the bay along with a
Biogon 28mm for a decent (not great, but decent) price.  The only other
thing I'm interested in getting is a 45/2 Planar (eventually).  What a lens!

Bill, that is simply untrue.  The focus on the G2 is extremely reliable, and
operation is intuitive.  The trick is to use the focus lock button on the
back, which can be operated with the thumb on the right hand while the
forefinger operates the shutter release.  Also remember that it is a single
AF point in the middle, and to keep it in S-AF so that the lens does not
"hunt".  I can use the G2 one-handed and never miss focus.  In fact, my E-P2
operates much the same way (single AF point, always in S-AF).  The Contax
G1, on the other hand, is unreliable as there is no way to reliably lock
focus (I think you can do it with the shutter release, but it's unstable at
best).

I love the Contax G series form and function, and the lenses are
outstanding.  What I really love though is how you can get this world class
kit for absurdly low prices now.  Equivalent Leica lenses are 3 times the
price (or more).

Same can be said of OM, of course, though checking KEH prices lately shows
an interesting spike in OM values.