Re: [OM] Printer cost vs. inks

Subject: Re: [OM] Printer cost vs. inks
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 00:27:33 +1300
Moose wrote
> I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this. "Freebie" marketing,
> selling stuff below cost or giving it away, to make profits on the
> disposable supplies, goes back at least 100 years, With King Gillette
> usually getting the credit - or blame - for inventing it. It was a major
> part of Kodak's marketing model for many decades.

Ford did this as well with either the Model A or the Model T, or both. I was
scarcely around then!
Sell the car at a price that the masses could afford. Make some parts
distinctly non-durable (Vance Packard wrote about this in 1960 in his book
"The Waste Makers"), and sell the owners repair kits so they could replace
the parts with equally non-durable parts. However, that was a better strategy
than for other goods which Packard records were made with parts that failed
soon after purchase and for which NO replacement parts were available.

That book ( I have just hauled it down from my shelves) is worth a re-read.

Brian Swale.