Re: [OM] IMG: Friday Tulip - Jim N.

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Friday Tulip - Jim N.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:04:36 -0400
A good monitor will display 8 bits.  But prints are limited to about 5-6
bits.  And, regardless of what you might have thought, 16 bits can't
actually be seen on any device.  In fact, if you feed a 16 bit image to
your monitor it's probably being converted to 8 bits on the fly.

The reason to have 16 bits is only for editing binary integers.
Whenever you reduce the brightness of a pixel its value is divided by
something.  If the brightness range is only 8 bits and runs from 0-255
dividing 128 by, say, 3 yields 42.667 which (since it's integer
arithmetic) gets rounded to 43.  But in 16 bit parlance the same
brightness value is 128 x 16 = 2048.  Dividing 2048 by 3 yields 682.667
which (since it's still integer arithmetic) gets rounded to 683.
Although both numbers got rounded to an integer the amount of precision
lost by rounding to the nearest integer value is much smaller in the 16
bit value.

If I were to now convert 683 down to 8 bits I'd get 683/16 = 43.  We end
up with exactly that same value as if we had used 8 bits to start with.
  So, for a single adjustment there is no difference.  However multiple
brightness, contrast, saturation, etc, etc, adjustments gradually
introduce more and more rounding errors into the 8 bit calculations.
Using 16 bit values reduces the cumulative effects of those rounding
errors which has a tendency to introduce spikes and the jaggies into
histograms.

So, forget 16 bits on the final, processed output.  No one can see it...
  even if you think you can.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt

On 3/26/2011 12:59 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification, C.H.  When I save jpegs, I normally use level
> 12 in PS Elements unless the destination places a limit on file size.
>
> So, it appears that I can convert to 8-bit and do a final cleanup of my
> images without losing any quality in the displayed image.  That helps me in
> my decision making.
>
> Jim Nichols
> Tullahoma, TN USA

>>> etc.  In looking at the images that I have posted recently, the tiff