Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 22/3/2011: Casa Marilyn on Tri-X

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 22/3/2011: Casa Marilyn on Tri-X
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 08:27:30 -0500
> I don't know how you can realistically compare given different size
> images and color vs. b&W.

Scientific comparison? No. Aesthetic comparison? Sure! If the end
result is web-display, the comparison is absolutely valid.

The problem with scans for web display is the blurring during
downsizing. I think it is much harder to get a decent downsized image
from a scan than from a digital capture. The images end up with a
softness which just doesn't settle well with me. Nathan's pictures
bear this out too. Truth be told, whenever I display a scan on
Zone-10, more often than not I have to jump through some hoops to get
it to look as good as it does.

However, in print, none of that matters and in fact the scanned image
will almost always look better than the digital capture.

AG