Re: [OM] Great buy

Subject: Re: [OM] Great buy
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:02:44 -0600
> I know I am replying late, but I think if all my OM kit was stolen today
> then this is the ONLY lens of my OM collection that I would replace with
> another of the same rather than just getting modern equivalents, sorry
> to say but its true and it speaks volumes about what I think of this lens.

There are days when I'm a little more ambivalent about these things,
but I'm thinking the same way. I really do like the way this lens
renders people. Oh, wait, the lens doesn't actually RENDER people, it
passes the light rays onto the sensor or film in a manner that makes
people photography look different than is typically found with a more
normal lens.

Yesterday, the FedEx delivered a package from Millers. In it was a
large reprint order for a senior portrait session. Most of the
pictures were taken with the Panasonic-Leica dohicky, but a few were
with the 35-80 and also the 300/4.5. Even without knowing which was
which, I can easily identify the 35-80 shots as being different in a
very good way.

Because of these differences, I'm converting over to using the 35-80
for the majority of my portrait work.

We'll not get into the subject of cameras, but even when everything is
perfectly matched up, the E-1 still produces a better portrait PRINT
than the L1, but the OM with Portra film beats both.

AG