Re: [OM] PTLens, was: next lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] PTLens, was: next lens?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 14:55:01 -0800
On 3/8/2011 5:04 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> PTLens appears to have profiles for all 4/3 and micro 4/3 lenses
> including the Zuiko 12-60.  Since PTLens uses custom profiles for each
> lens and focal length it is capable of correcting complex distortion curves.

Yup. Hard to be sure without careful test subjects, but I've compared it to
both ACR and DXO profiled auto corrections a
few times and found it at least as good, perhaps better, as correction of
linear distortion.

PTLens doesn't do automatic vignetting correction. DXO, on the one lens I have
for which they have a profile, does a
good job with vignetting. ACR, on the other hand, over corrects it on my
lenses. Easy enough to get right with the
sliders, but then, easy enough to correct in the first place with the sliders
in PTLens.

As I recall, both ACR and DXO expand the image to original size to get rid of
black borders from correction, although
maybe it's only one of them that expands, rather than crops. At least in
theory, expansion adds another unnecessary
process that alters the pixels. PTLens gives you the option to go either way.

> Hard to imagine a better $25 software investment.  I think I got mine when it
> was still only $10 or $15.

I know it was free early on. I'm thinking it was $5 when first not free? As a
regular user, I do remember thinking how
stone cheap it was when he first started charging for it. I bought on right
away. Still a bargain.

Moose