[OM] A Glass Flashback

Subject: [OM] A Glass Flashback
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 19:33:51 -0800 (PST)
Cancer?

I dont remember this coming up in a recent conversation.  Pleez feel free to
elaborate.

Boris

From:   Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:27:08 -0600

On the way to work this morning I spotted multiple flocks of Geese
flying in formations. In the jeep with me was my film kit.
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to stop and shoot, but one of the
more unusual things happened.

I was instantly transported back about 20 years in time and could
smell my camera equipment and had that visualization of using it to
photograph the birds. In fact, actual compositions and photographs
came streaming back into my mind's eye. The excitement, the carefree
pursuit of "the shot" with far lesser gear than today, the challenge,
the adventure, the simple joys.

I was honestly warmed by the memories and thoughts. Definitely a special moment.

Then I asked myself what happened to those feelings? Why has
photography lost some of that simple joy? For one thing, I was still
learning and every photograph was specifically influencing my growth
as a photographer and contributing to my own maturing. It was a time
of "coming of age" before marriage, children, mortgages, cancer,
unemployment and pension plans. A simpler time it was.

Do I long for that time? No. I'm quite happy with life as we know it
and I recognize that simpler time is past. But I did get a nice
reawakening to the joys and feelings of over twenty years ago. Do I do
anything with this? Probably not, other than to make sure I take the
backroads home tonight. It's time to get the Jeep off the pavement
again. It's time to carry simple kits that force me to improve myself
as a photographer through means other than punching in a credit card
number at the B&H or KEH websites.

It has been 25 years this past month since I purchased my OM-2S with
35/2.8 and 100/2.8 lenses. Maybe I'm feeling a little nostalgic these
days.

AG

Boris Grigorov on LinkedIn

Check my profile and find me a job.