Re: [OM] Blurry photos posted, was: Aaarghh!!! Which focus improvement

Subject: Re: [OM] Blurry photos posted, was: Aaarghh!!! Which focus improvement software?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:59:20 -0800
On 2/28/2011 11:16 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I downloaded the trial version of Focus Magic and tried two images.  I
> can't see much difference at all.  It may simply be that these images
> suffer from something other than problems with depth of field or motion
> blur.  Or maybe I don't know how to use Focus Magic after 15 minutes of
> trying.

I can't see any blurring in 446. Maybe a bit of contrast lowering on the center
woman, but hard to tell in the shadows.
I didn't use any FM on that one, just a bit of post down sample sharpening
around eyes and mouths. I may have overdone
it a bit, but treated it as a snapshot, where clarity of the people involved
outweighs subtlety.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/CNorcutt/SAM_0446.htm>

435 is much harder, with uneven smearing leaving bands of light and dark, etc.
Both FM modes were of some help in small
areas with masking, but I  used a whole potpourri of tools and masks, up to and
including flipping an eye and then
warping it. I do think that , at least as snapshot, I've demonstrated that it
can be saved.
<cid:part1.09040801.04060806@gmail.com>

In both cases, I converted to 16 bit and used NeatImage first. The Sammy has
significant noise at 100% even at ISO 80.
Not that it's visible at web size, but it tends to lead to some blotchiness as
one manipulates extensively.. Better to
knock it down to begin with.

I think both could use modest cropping.

Sharper Moose