[OM] Race ya to the top

Subject: [OM] Race ya to the top
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 18:35:40 -0500 (EST)
I read the abstract. Sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me.
What did
those poor critters do to deserve electro-shock treatments?

--Bob

I  don't know, Bob. I know you're kidding but seems like good science
to me.  Doubt the critters have enough synapses to "suffer."
They used the evil tobacco hornworm caterpillar anyway and it's next of
kin defoliates tomato plants.   ;-)

I'll make an effort to free spiders and wasps from the house if
possible yet spray with abandon with horticultural oil to smoother the
TRILLIONS
of winter moth caterpillars (Operophtera brumata) that would destroy
every single tree  including our dwarf apple trees w/o any treatment.
I also have to use B.t.k.--
a bacillus, but don't want any stray damage to the native 'pillars if
at all possible. There are no natural predators here.  Prof. Josep
Elkinton is studying use of the Cyzanis albicans, a natural parasitic
predator successfully in Nova Scotia in the 50's.  They ONLY attack the
winter moth.  They started a small release program here, but it hasn't
helped much yet.
I wouldn't even think of refrigerating a b'fly to make it pose better.

I guess we are all a collection of contradictions.

Lepidoptera fan, but ya have to draw the line, Mike