Re: [OM] Orion 500/5.6, was: Zuiko 500/8 mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Orion 500/5.6, was: Zuiko 500/8 mirror
From: Paul Laughlin <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:46:40 -0800
On 2/18/2011 11:10 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Yes, the original was shown in several separated pieces as though the
> photo had been torn up.  I did work on a similar image several years ago
> where a husband (in need of anger management training) had torn up the
> wife's photo and the kids wanted mother's picture restored.  I was just
> wondering how you created the base "original" from the pieces and
> whether any significant small details had gone missing during the tearing.
Okay,  the picture is of my brother-in-laws grandmother.  Considering
that he is around 82 years old, the picture must have been taken
sometime before 1900.  I have no idea how the damage was done.  I made a
comment to my sister that I had some pretty good results with restoring
images.  Also that I need something to do as I have COPD and am somewhat
limited in mobility.  She said that they had a picture that they would
like to have restored.  When I got it, there was a bag full of pieces.
Fortunately, the more critical parts of the face were intact.  My first
thought was, oh hell.  Luckily, I had watched a similar profect by Jason
Hoppe on one of his Retouch Live things, a year or so ago.  That helped
a lot.
I scanned each individual piece at 1200 PPI.  Probably a bit of
overkill. LOL  The overall image was quite large.  The largest piece
required two scans.  The in PS CS5, I made a new canvas large enough to
hold the entire image.  I then placed each piece on its individual
layer.  Then, since some of the pieces had torn edges that had to
overlay the torn edges of other pieces, I reordered the layers.  Then
using Select and Free Transform, I moved each piece into the correct
position.  After that, it was mostly the spot healing brush with content
aware, Content Aware Fill, and the clone tool.  I am really a big fan of
the Content Aware thing.  Still learning more about it every day, and I
hopped on the band wagon with the trial installation prior the receiving
the preordered upgrade.
  By the way, the World War I image of the soldiers was much more
challenging.  There were faces that were mostly obliterated.
Fortunately, there were also many other faces to rob the necessary
features from.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to holler.
Paul in Portland OR