[OM] Olympus for Dummies

Subject: [OM] Olympus for Dummies
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:20:56 -0500 (EST)
I got an email "Shop Olympus Deals for your Valentine!" from
Olympus today, offering pink and red P&S cameras, and 10% off
the price of a "customizable kit" - E-PL1 in various colors
with 14-42 lens, one of four cases, and then, optionally, a
leather strap, extended warranty, and/or a book "Olympus PEN
E-PL1 For Dummies".

My first reaction was: There's an Olympus Pen for Dummies
Book?

My second reaction was: What kind of dummy is this advertising
campaign aimed at? The 10% is off of MSRP price (the E-PL1 is
$499 before discount), there is no description of the
different cases to choose between, and no lenses offered as
part of the kit.

As a current Olympus camera owner, I am a reasonable prospect
for newer Olympus products, but even if I were actively in the
market for something new when direct-from-Olympus offers
arrive, the offers have never been enticing to me.

Does anyone on the list buy things direct from Olympus?