Re: [OM] IMG: Snow Again

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Snow Again
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 20:38:52 +1100

> Wrought iron isn't quite what people think - it could be cast into
> shape. The 'wreaking' involved the working of the semi-molten iron to
> produce an alloy tougher than simple cast iron, not the working of the
> cold iron as many assume. Basically, it was an early substitute for
> steel when steel was very expensive to produce.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrought_iron
>
> Where would we be without Wikipedia? :-)

Ok, the wiki link gives what I'd call an accurate description of wrought
iron - no argument there.

However the decoration found on Melbourne Victorian era houses (some forms
of iron furniture, fences, gates, etc.) is CAST iron, doesn't undergo any
wreaking, retching or rorting - "working" of the iron once cast.

...Wayne