Re: [OM] Taking pictures while running

Subject: Re: [OM] Taking pictures while running
From: "George Themelis" <george@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:41:12 -0500
We live in an area with nice trails and trail races are rather common here.
There are at least 2x 50 mile races (one in the summer and one in the
winter) and one 100 mile race (for which I have signed up already, it is in
August).  I run about 2 "ultramarathons" a year, starting 3 years ago.  I
have not run 100 miles yet.  My ultimate goal is to run the Spartathlon, a
160 mile race from Athens to Sparta.

For this particular winter trail race I changed shoes once (after 18 miles)
but still got a few blisters due to running with wet socks.  That's the only
change.

My best time running 50K in a trail (running in trails is significantly
slower than running in roads because of obstacles and a lot of
uphills/dowhills) is 5 hours.  So this 1:20 extra time accounts for the
winter conditions (slippery snow, etc).

Trail running involves a lot of walking.  Most runners walk the uphills.
This give you more time to take pictures :)  There are aid stations every
5-8 miles where you get to eat, drink and refill your bottle.

After the race I eat well, drink a beer or two and take a nap :)

About the pictures, there are still in my camera!!!  I only took a few.
When the sun came out a couple of times and saw a nice row of snow covered
trees with the sun shinning between them, it was time to take the camera
out.  Or, when I was running behind a cute female runner with beautiful
form,  that was time for a picture too. (I should mention that older male
runners run at about the same pace as young female runners, which is a very
nice thing, a gift from mother nature :))

I hope that's enough details for now :) :)

George