Re: [OM] (Fwd) Re: PHP

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) Re: PHP
From: manuel viet <manuel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 11:24:50 +0100
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. Not that I has bad feelings for not being cited,
but because I wasn't even sure you tried wampserver.

WAMP stands for Windows - Apache - MySQL - PHP.

So, when you install that collection of programs, you get everything you need
besides windows to setup a complete server stack :

1) first, and foremost, apache, the server itself. In turn Apache stands for "a
patchy" server because it begun as a collection of software patches to improve
the limited functionalities of the CERN original server. Hence the name, hence
the desserved feeling of fuzziness. As of size, it's so small as to be
irrelevant. Web servers aim at speed, they can't be efficient and big at the
same time. Consider it's well within the Mb range, more likely fitting the Kb
range. Most everything else is documentation.

2) MySQL is a database server. Don't bother at this point, PHP is all you'll
ever need to talk to it.

3) PHP is an interpreter. As a language, you're correct it can be used
standalone. But it's so finely tuned at producing web pages that you won't
likely use it another way than within an apache context. Even when writing
interactive "web 2.0" sites, you're better off leaving the interactivity part
to page-embedded javascript.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

--