Re: [OM] Dreamweaver

Subject: Re: [OM] Dreamweaver
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:44:28 -0600
> One consideration - I have seen that photos may be copy protected with
> flash, so might be one reason photographers use it. Not sure how it works
> or if I'm speaking correctly.

Which is a misguided assumption on their part. ANYTHING displayed on
the screen is capturable. In PC, MAC and LINUX environments there is
not only native functionality for screen capture, but also third-party
software that will do it to. The only thing the Flash sites really
give the photographer is protection against "right-click, save
as/copy" theft.

I take a different approach. Honestly, if I could effectively display
a larger image, I would. As www.zone-10.com is a photography-related
site, it would be a little crazy of me to be afraid of displaying
photography on the site. I really would like to be able to get the
images to 1024 on the long side at some point. Theft? Well, yes it
does happen. I periodically do a scrape to see where some of my shots
show up and I see a few usages on blog pages and such. Doesn't matter,
because if it's a business I send an invoice. But I get more image
sales from having larger images than otherwise would be likely.

However, a twist...

For events and such, I do post images in a gallery. The long-side is
usually 800 pixels. My policy is that the 800-pixel image is free and
they can do whatever they want with it (short of for-profit
publication), but 800 pixels is not large enough to print larger than
a 4x6 without visible degradation. I hate selling 4x6 prints as my
margin on them is squat. I need to sell 5x7, 8x10 and larger. So loss
of reprint sales of 4x6 prints is not a bother to me.

So, fear of image-theft on-line isn't a concern for me. Anything that
I really value and am getting income of probably isn't even going to
show up on www.zone-10.com because I'm too busy trying to come up with
interesting content and comment rather than trying to use the site as
a portfolio which so many photography-related sites are. If I'm
looking for strokes from fellow photographers I'll throw some
puke-inducing, disney-colored, HDR mish-mash on FLICKR where others
will ooh and aah over it. Really want to score points? Photograph a
cat.

AG