[OM] (OM) Processed foods

Subject: [OM] (OM) Processed foods
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 02:24:53 +1300
> Charles Geilfuss wrote:
> >    No collards eh. Just haven't had them prepared the right way. If ever
> >    you
> > find yourself in Charleston call and I'll prepare a batch for you. They
> > are the one vegetable I have to tell my children to slow down on and
> > make sure everyone has had their fair share.
> >
> > Charlie
As far as I know, collard greens are the same as what we call "Silver beet"
in New Zealand. If you have your own vegetable garden (we do) they are a
very valuable green. VERY easy to grow, grow all year round including
winter here, grow fast, and taste good. Unless you are a kid; kids don't seem
to like the taste, and some fussy people will not eat the white stalk.

Actually, processed food that I use a lot, since I do about 50% of the cooking
here for 4, and I do stir-frys quite a lot, is snap-frozen vegetables from the
supermarket.  They are always very fresh (usually harvested before dawn),
and do not deteriorate while stored, as far as I know. Takes a load of time
out of the food preparation process. I buy green peas, sliced green beans,
and mixtures that the factories call "Asian stir-fry mix" or similar; these
contain fine-sliced red capsicum, broccoli, carrot, green peas, green beans
in pod, and I'm not sure what else.

By the way, the "only" way to have parsnip, is (a) ensure that it has been
exposed to several frosts while growing - this brings up the sugar level
removing that horrible bitter taste, and (b) roast them in a roasting dish with
a leg of mutton.

Brian Swale.