Re: [OM] Processed foods (was: The Puerto Rico that Few See)

Subject: Re: [OM] Processed foods (was: The Puerto Rico that Few See)
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 09:53:01 -0600
I have to agree with Moose here; the worst thing about processed foods isn't
necessarily that it's unnatural or the way they are cooked (deep fried, high
in sodium).  It's that people eat them in massive quantities without
consideration for other aspects of their diet.  I'm a firm believer that how
much you eat (caloric intake) is of equal importance as what you eat
(nutrition).

I'm pretty sure that what I made for dinner last night (cauliflower au
gratin with organically grown cauliflower, thick sliced pork chops with a
pear honey, Parmesan and fresh rosemary glaze, organically grown fresh field
greens with goat cheese and raspberry vinaigrette dressing) was at least as
unhealthy as a Big Mac and fries.  (here's the recipe for the cauliflower in
case anybody wants to try it:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/cauliflower-gratin-recipe/index.html)
But it's all about portion control (admittedly, I didn't excercise much
restraint).