Re: [OM] (OM) R.I.P.. TOPE - not quite yet! :P

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) R.I.P.. TOPE - not quite yet! :P
From: Olaf Greve <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 14:06:10 +0100
Hi all,

Firstly: a happy new year to everyone!

Then... the TOPE subject; a thing I've been keeping postponing over the past
few months.

Yes, the load on my shoulders has substantially grown the past time, and that
causes stuff to get overlooked. It's not all that much work to maintain TOPE,
but unfortunately, in too busy times, things like this are the first victims to
fall (or at least to get put in the parking lot).

I see the desire for TOPE is still very much alive; from the previous questions
as to whether it was desired to continue with it or not, the option was posed
of doing "something" to the scheme; be it in the form of having longer shooting
intervals and/or less themes per year.

Lately I've been thinking about it all, and in itself I think TOPE can continue
with the same frequency as now, but maybe with continuous shooting intervals,
by which I mean that each TOPE effectively spans 3 months, consisting of a 2.5
month shooting interval, a 2 weeks submission period, and a launch at the end
of each three months (with time to submit - but not shoot - further entries)
for some 2-4 more weeks after the initial launch. The anonymity period can be
maintained as is the case now: during the two weeks directly following the
launch of each event.
As soon as a TOPE goes live, shooting for the next one can then commence again.
This way, the shooting intervals are about doubled per theme, hopefully
resulting in some higher participation rates again.

As far as I'm concerned the last few months can be seen as a 'TOPE holiday',
and I'm game for some more.

As a start, we still have TOPE 43 pending. I did receive some submissions for
it. I can process those, and I can accept further submissions for the coming
two weeks. Let's plan the launch for Wednesday January 19th. Should be doable.

Everyone is encouraged to send in entries for it, and as I've been lagging
behind with getting this TOPE launched (and also as I've only received some 5
entries or so), you can take the coming two weeks for getting some pictures for
it. The theme is: "Oh, how you've aged", and the abstract is still as it's
listed on the site, being:

"Perhaps a rather difficult theme. When it was proposed it carried the
subtitle: "new pictures of old list members". That is indeed one good
interpretation of the theme, but there is no need to have been a long-time list
member, as one can also invent their own interpretations (within reasonable
bounds, of course) of this theme. Also: note that this theme does not
necessarily has to consist of self-portraits, so there is some slack space for
original interpretations of this theme as well..."

Alright, let's see of we can get this show on the road again!

Next up will be to establish a set of follow-up themes. Previously the
following ones (listed a bit further down below) were mentioned. If anyone has
other suggestions, please send them to me, and I shall add them to the list, so
in some two weeks time (or sooner) we can start voting for themes again, as has
been the case in previous years.

Previously made theme suggestions (listed in alphabetical order):
Bad photos
Black & white in color
Celebrations
Circles & Squares
Collection
Commerce
Creative use of shutter speeds and/or f stops
Delicious
Drama
Existing art
Family
Funny/bizarre shots
Hands
Having Fun
Heroes
Innocence
It ain't what it looks like
Man's best friend
Mud
Normal lens (40-55 or eqv zoom settings)
One Day...
Opposites
Our offices
Photos with white-color as main subject, and photos with black-color as main
subject
Specific shapes
Speed
Sports or Fast action photography
Studio style shots
Telephoto lens (75+ or eqv zoom setting)
The human condition
This doesn't fit
Toys
Wide angle lens (35 or wider lenses incl those settings on a zoom)
Wild life
Wish I'd thought of that
Your least favorite lens (use your least favorite lens)
Your living place

Cheers,
Olafo

On 29 Dec 2010, at 15:16, Brian Swale wrote:

Ken wrote;

> 4. In regards to ZX, there is no reason why we can't build the entire TOPE
> thing in Gallery 2 or 3. That way we can break from the harsh realities of
> the online magazine format of the site

I don't mind at all the format of the current TOPE, The method of
implementing a font is novel; probably Olafo worked really hard to come up
with that.

But I'm very happy with the index page layout and the way the comments
are implemented.
I feel really *at home* with the familiarity of Olafo's TOPE.

Re: "Oh how you have aged" if you recall, this was not limited to people, and
in fact my own submission was *not* about a person at all ... but a tree.

I'd like the opportunity to do the pic again ...

Brian Swale.