Re: [OM] IMG: My Ross Lens Project

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: My Ross Lens Project
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 19:42:44 -0500
 From this <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_%28optics%29> it appears
that Ross was fairly well along in lens design for the time.  I suspect
that the good performance shown by Jim's lens is due to long focal
length (200mm), moderate max aperture (f/8) and especially much smaller
image format than the lens was designed for.  I tried looking up the
history of apochromats but couldn't find when the first was designed.
Actually, the trick was not the design effort but having glass of
suitable index of refraction.

Chuck Norcutt