Re: [OM] Backpack suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpack suggestions
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:21:20 -0600
Bill,

I just bought my second Canon 200EG backpack. The zipper on the first one
blew out a while back, but I like the bag so much I got a replacement. It's
a bargain price, too. I like the fact that you can fit a netbook or small
laptop computer like the Lenovo x100 in it.

It is a bit small in the main compartment, but there are a couple of
additonal enclosed areas which seem to expand out nicely, as well as two
side pockets that are great for meters and such.

Airline use? I've packed mine through airlines a few times and it is just
fine--in fact, it's quite a bit smaller than the outer limits, so it will
even work with the regional jets that have very restricted cubbyholes.

The streetprice on the 200EG is about $45, which makes this the bargain of
the century. The only complaints I have with it are as follows:

1. Not waterproof. Camera bags floating in flooded canoes aren't a good
thing.
2. Too many straps everywhere. First thing you do is remove everything that
can be removed.
3. Strap ends have no slip prevention lump. Make sure you immediately tie a
knot in the ends of the straps after getting rid of the chest strap thingy.
If you don't put the knot in the end, when you pick up the bag by one
shoulder strap and the adjuster is accidently pushed upwards, the strap will
come zipping out and the bag crashes to the floor. (Don't ask me how I know
that). On a related note, the bag is somewhat narrow and the straps may be a
little tight in the armpits if you are a linebacker.
4. A DSLR with battery grip won't fit inside the bag with lens attached. The
interior depth is too short.
5. Padding isn't as firm as the LowePro and Tamrac bags. Really heavy stuff
isn't as well protected. Sometimes when hiking, you'll get a jab in the back
from something inside the bag.
6. Logo.

But I'd probably recommend a new Tamrac if you find one that fits you well.

AG