[OM] The pictures that didn't make it

Subject: [OM] The pictures that didn't make it
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:11:47 -0600
Well, I was going to post more pictures... On Saturday, we started the
two-day process of travelling back home. Along the way, we stopped at
Bond Falls. The wind was honkin and the temperature was 4F.

Fortunately, I had just gotten a pair of ice-cleats for my boots,
otherwise the hike down to the falls would have taken me more than the
6 minutes it took, and I wouldn't have been able to take the steps
alongside the falls itself as they were a total ice-slope. Even so, I
didn't get very far up as the path eventually became impassible
without full-blown crampons. As I was alone and not roped in, I
thought better of tempting the fates.

The family waited in the car, so I was hurrying to get whatever shots
I could. I've been to Bond Falls enough times to know where my
photographic spots are. Unfortunately, with the time constraint (they
waiting, and the cold, icy conditions), I wasn't going to lolligag
around and decided to abbreviate the process a bit. With a quick
eye-balling of the scene, I decided to leave the OM bodies parked in
the bag and just grabbed the Panasonic DMC-L1 with Leica lens for a
"spray and pray" moment. All said, I shot for about 9 minutes.

When I downloaded the pictures into the computer, I noticed that the
last dozen or so all turned out black. Nadda, nothing. Not sure what's
up with that, but the final two compositions with some exposure
bracketing all were missed. It's as though I put the lens cap on the
camera.

The other pictures turned out fine, though. Nothing spectacular, and
I'll need to do something to keep the sky from looking cooked. Bond
Falls flows to the north, and with the low sun peaking through breaks
in the snow-filled clouds, the shots are sure to get Moose'd in some
form. I spent some time trying to work with them, but decided that I
couldn't come up with a decent crop/processed shot in time to post on
zone-10.

But those missing dozen shots? It could be that we found a lower
thermal limit to the camera.

Got home last night and there is a box of 30 rolls of film waiting for me...

AG