Re: [OM] Economics

Subject: Re: [OM] Economics
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 08:15:37 +0000
Ah, I wasn't against state-funded schools, Andrew, but the National Curriculum
in the UK has been self-defeating in part: it has filled the school week and
month without achieving everything that it should have done; yet it has left no
space for schools to add their own content.  It's the NC that has caused the
damage.

The Catholic school to which I sent my sons (St Patrick's, in Tampa) was fully
funded by the parents, I believe.  It was quite a poor school, financially, but
great in educational and pastoral terms.

I don't know what a Charter school might be, but I suspect that the UK's
Academies are similar; I share your antipathy to the ethos and to the CEO's
salary.  In fact, I resent there being a CEO at all  . . .

It looks as if we will soon be rid of CEO's in local government over here.

Chris