Re: [OM] Monarchs, monarchs, who got a monarchs? [was OT A Monarch photo

Subject: Re: [OM] Monarchs, monarchs, who got a monarchs? [was OT A Monarch photo using a Canyon]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 00:49:08 -0800
On 12/23/2010 7:54 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Monarchs, Monarchs, someone say Monarchs? I'll call your one Monarch and
> raise you a thousand.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/28mc2er
>
>   From trip to one winter home of the Monarchs in Valle de Bravo, Mexico.
> OM4T Tam 35-105, Kod 160VC.
>
> We rode on horseback 10 miles, hiked a mile or two and they gave us 15
> minutes tops.
> Ironically it is easier to get a nice portrait in the backyard in the right
> light when a few are around vs thousands all over the place.

Indeed. I assume it's still true that a trip to Pacific Grove, one may see and
photograph them in a similar abundance.
Close, cheap and extended viewing times. ;-)   I must have some shots laying
about on film somewhere. I've not tried
again for just the reason you give. I've been to Pacific Grove several times,
but not bothered with trying to time it
for butterflies.

> Have learned from Dean that oblique light will bring out the texture of the
> wings.

So how do I get them to pose? The one I recently posted was relatively fresh
out of the chrysalis, and so couldn't fly
off for a few minutes, but was not positioned oblique to the sunlight . . .

> I am not sure why the FB poster wanted Santa to bring him a shorter FL macro
> lens if chasing critters is one major object.  Notice Moose used quite a long
> FL which provides better working distance and background control and had very
> nice shots.

One of the nice things about the Tammy 28-300 is that close focus is the same
throughout the range, so max. mag. is at
the long end. It's really quite a decent almost macro lens.

Moose