Re: [OM] Economics

Subject: Re: [OM] Economics
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:58:07 -0500
The ironic thing is that the puritan's church, the Congregationalist Church,
is now one of the most liberal churches in the world. Its called the United
Church of Christ now. The Puritan views on the poor have been discarded by
the descendents of the Puritans and embraced by everyone else here! (The UCC
also marries gays, and ordains women, much to the chagrin of conservative
Christians).

As to how far the rest of what Andrew said is true, it really depends on
where in the USA you are. This is a very large country whose people are very
culturally diverse.

What I can say is that in the midwest there is an extreme intolerance
directed against the poor by the middle class and upper class. Racism is
endemic here, mostly against blacks, and that plays into the hatred of the
poor as well since many middle class whites seem in denial of the fact that
white people can be poor too.

There are still a lot of small towns in Indiana where blacks are NOT
welcome. Huntington, the hometown of former vice president Dan Quayle, used
to have signs at the edge of town along US 24 (the highway that connects
Huntington with the nearest big city, Fort Wayne) that said "NIGGER! YOU
DON'T LIVE HERE SO DON'T STAY AROUND TO SEE THE SUNSET." Towns like
Huntington were known as "Sundown Towns" and a large percentage of the small
towns here were sundown until the practice was banned by the civil rights
act of 1964. The signs are gone, but many of these towns are still so
unfriendly to blacks that none dare go to these places. My father, who was a
manager at Verizon before he retired, told me one of his black linemen was
mistakenly sent to Elwood, Indiana by a field supervisor who didn't know the
town's reputation and when the other linemen found out, several of them went
there to guard him because they feared that the local KKK would lynch the
man. This was in the 1990s!

So, there are some areas that are very 'conservative' (translation: hateful,
racist, and uncaring toward the less fortunate), and other areas that are
more openminded and caring. Depends on where you go.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook