Re: [OM] Gmail users, what do you say about this?

Subject: Re: [OM] Gmail users, what do you say about this?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:08:41 -0800
<grin>

Although I didn't say so, I was referring specifically to written
correspondence and dialogue.

Literature is more an art form than a communications medium, no?

If your goal is to produce art, then by all means, don't worry about offending
your mom.

But if your goal is expository -- to be understood and to be influential --
your "inner mom" may be quite helpful.

Actually, *any* inner voice besides your own may help. The Pope? A rabbi?
Ghandi? Mother Theresa? Your high-school English teacher? Perhaps the ability
to adopt some other persona while editing is one of the elements of effective
communication.