Re: [OM] Apple a Monopoly? [was: olympus Digest, Vol 26, Issue 9]

Subject: Re: [OM] Apple a Monopoly? [was: olympus Digest, Vol 26, Issue 9]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 09:26:23 -0800
> From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
>
> Now, consider the Apple OS. You buy the computer from them and only them, and
> b'dee, b'dee, that's all
> folks!

You can "jail break" Mac OS and run it on a garage-built Windows box if you put
your mind to it. There's a guy on Victoria Craig's List that sells them for
$800 or so.

And Apple boxes take industry standard cables, cards, ports, disks, and memory.
(I've NEVER bought such things from Apple! I generally service my Macs from my
junk box or Fry's.) And I'll bet that if your camera breaks (or television, or
cell phone, or even your car, for the most part), you don't go down to Radio
Shack and buy generic parts for it. Does that mean your camera (or television,
or cell phone, or car) comes from a monopoly?

> And Unix? That would require far too much study and knowledge for most to
> use on a regular basis.

I guess nuclear physics is a monopoly, then. :-)

Seriously, I don't get your drift. If something is open-source and widely
available, but requires "study and knowledge," then that somehow makes it a
monopoly? You can download the source code! Can you do that with Windows?

As I suspected, you have carefully crafted your own definition of "monopoly" so
that it includes Apple computers and even UNIX. I'm afraid we're just going to
have to agree to disagree on this one, Bill.