[OM] Apple a Monopoly? [was: olympus Digest, Vol 26, Issue 9]

Subject: [OM] Apple a Monopoly? [was: olympus Digest, Vol 26, Issue 9]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 08:40:13 -0800
> From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 12/9/2010 5:46 PM, Jan Steinman wrote:
>> And I strongly object to contributing to the income of convicted monopolies.
>
> On 12/10/2010 6:36 PM, Jan Steinman wrote:
>> Yet another reason to hate monopolies...
>>
> Pretty rich coming out an Apple fundamentalist. Talk about monopolies,
> maybe a (relatively) small monopoly, but still clearly a monopoly.

Perhaps with the iPhone, but I don't do that. I use their open-source, UNIX OS
and their computers, which by no means could be considered a monopoly. (At
least I don't see how Apple has "sufficient control over a particular product
or service to determine significantly the terms on which other individuals
shall have access to it." I guess by a strict interpretation of that Wikipedia
definition, one could say that Ford has a monopoly on Ford automobiles... :-)

If Apple becomes the monopoly player in computers, I'll have long since moved
on to something else.

There's a certain outlook of being #1 that is somewhat pathetic. You quit
innovating, and spend more of your resources in defensive manoeuvres, like copy
protection and legal action against your customers. Perhaps Apple is indulging
in such behaviour in certain markets -- ones I don't partake in -- but in
computing, they still have to innovate in order to get anyone to buy their
products. I don't think they'd have very many loyal fans if they were just
producing Yet Another Windows Box.

I'm not so much a fan of Apple as I am a fan of the innovative underdog. That's
why I shoot Olympus, and drive diesels, and use a Roland printer.

'It is a question of discipline,' the little prince said to me later on. 'When
you've finished with your own toilet in the morning, then it is time to attend
to the toilet of your planet, just so, with the greatest care.' -- Antoine de
Saint-Exupery