[OM] Blurbed

Subject: [OM] Blurbed
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 05:11:17 +1300
Andrew wrote

> Ah, but you can turn a book sideways! :-)
> I did a proof first and it works quite well.
> The corrections i needed to do were related to providing more space in the
> spine - I had images too close in. Blurb provides a free program called
> Booksmart which works very well. The only thing it doesn't seem to do is
> turn text sideways. You prepare your book offline and take your time and
> then upload it. There's no provision to correct it on-line that I could
> find - you have to upload the entire corrected version and delete the
> first attempt but it doesn't take too long. They also print text only
> books and compete with Lulu. They also now have a simplified version
> called Bookify for people who are preparing family albums, I suspect.

In writing what I am about to I am not looking for comments about the speed
of my internet access - so please don't bother mentioning it.

As right now I am up temporarily very early (3.30 - 5) in the morning using
my computer - the house is quiet, and nobody interrupts. A couple of nights
ago I decided to try once again and get Blurb to run on this machine (OH
how I hate Adobe Flash), and it worked !!  11MB and 80 minutes later I had
looked at all that was available of Andrew's books.

They both look very nice, and I envy Andrew his skill with a camera.

Two comments, my objective observations based on my preferences;
I was glad to see some of the body studies did use lighting / background that
was not uniformly lit. I know Andrew prefers a uniform background / even
lighting, but I think that the presence of shadow and directional lighting can
make a more pleasing image in some circumstances.
Secondly, IMO, there is a certain lack of coherence in a few places in the
subject flow as one scrolled through what was available. Maybe the text
explained something but I could not read it (I don't know if that is possible
in
this preview mode). Perhaps it would help to break such books up into
obvious chapters with headings to prepare the viewer for a change in topic.

I like the idea of having such a book available in one's camera bag to show
people when an explanation of what one is doing with a camera is required.

My experience of life (including surrogate grand-daughter who insists in
thrusting herself in front of my camera if she gets a chance), Moose's
comments in telling us about an aspect of his new camera test, and the fact
that Andrew was actually paid by many of his subjects to photograph them,
leads me to believe that many females ( from children to younger adults )
are somewhat desperate to have themselves and their bodies recorded and
admired. An interesting difference from men I know.

Brian Swale.