Re: [OM] IMG: An Occasional (Former) Flower on Friday

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: An Occasional (Former) Flower on Friday
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 03:35:45 +1300
Wayne, Charlie, and Jeff wrote

> > They're lovely, Jim.  But I don't think that ours ever bloomed.  They
> > were on a poor patch of soil, though, with too much clay and perhaps too
> > much shade.
> >

> Then you're missing a real treat Chris - perhaps plant another in a better
> area.
>
> ...Wayne

>   I did a little Googling and found a number of reasons why Dogwoods may
>   not
> bloom:
>
>     1. Young trees may not bloom much the first few years.
>
>     2. Amount of sunlight: Dogwoods are adapted to grow in the shaded
> understory so they bloom best/most when they live in the shade.
>
>     3. Dogwoods perform best in soil with a pH of 5.2-6.0 so as Roland
> Alston says in his drawl "Git that soil tested".
>
>     4. If in poor soil fertilize (duh).
>
>    5. Dogwoods require about 1 inch (2.54 cm) water per week.
>
> Good luck next year Chris.
>
> Charlie

> >From Sunset's "Western Gardening Book": All dogwoods offer attractive
> foliage and blossoms; some have spectacular fruit or winter bark. Leaves
> of many types turn brilliant colors in fall. What appear to be flower
> petals in many dogwoods are actually bracts - petal-like modified leaves.
>
> There are many species of Cornus, some native to California, others to
> Asia, Europe, etc. (leaves change color). I think most species set fruit
> so if no fruit on Chris' tree, likely no flowers. Perhaps his species
> doesn't like his location but there is probably one that would.
>
> Jeff Keller

"Bloom" is correct. At the centre of the bracts is a bunch of tiny flowers (an
inflorescence).

I suggest, Chris, that you go to the local garden-centre (retail nursery) and
see what they have to offer - or do what I may do - see whose gardens have
successful dogwoods and ask for a cutting and grow it. Retail prices of
dogwods here tend to be on the steep side.

They flower very well in Clyde and most gardens wouldn't have anywhere
near one inch water a week, even with supplemental watering. More like
1/3rd that. The soil here is very free-draining gravel.

If dogwoods *really* won't do in your locality, you could consider Davidia
involucrata, the pocket handkerchief tree. In the 60's, St John's (at that
*other* place (from Cambridge)) had one that flowered very well on a lime
soil. I don't know about its autumn colours, but the slightly similar blooms
are very nice to behold.

Brian Swale.