Re: [OM] (OM) Autumn around the world

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Autumn around the world
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 20:38:09 +1300
Chuck wrote

> We'll have to assume that the non-native species don't count.  How does
> that change your analysis?
>
> Chuck Norcutt
Just take out the Nothofagus (Southern genus of fagus = beech)

Yes, 5 days later I'm back in Clyde NZ.

Brian
PS, the Zuiko 180/2.8 ( which I bought 2nd hand a few months ago) came in
its own hard case.

> On 11/1/2010 9:08 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
> > Chuck wrote
> >
> >> A week ago the question had to to with leaves changing color in the
> >> autumn.  The question was answered by a biologist who was identified as
> >> a "visiting professor" but no information was given about where he was
> >> from.
> >>   But I was rather astounded by the answer which, as a passing comment,
> >> said that the only places in the world where leaves change color before
> >> dropping off the trees in the fall are eastern North America and north
> >> eastern Asia.
> >>
> >> I was certain that leaves must also change color in northern Europe but
> >> I haven't been to Europe or anywhere else outside North America in the
> >> fall for about 40 years.  But certainly the Aspen trees in the
> >> southwest United States turn brilliant yellow in the fall so I don't
> >> think he can be right.
> >>
> >> What do y'all think?
> >>
> >> Chuck Norcutt
> >
> > I think he is severely mistaken.
> > Canada; for example larch species (tamarack) as well as maples, oaks,
> > elms, birches and aspens, just off the top of my head. Northern Europe (
> > well not even *northern* Europe, as winters in parts of Spain, Portugal
> > and Italy are severe enough to cause "autumn colour". Genera involved?
> > Larch, birch, oak, beech, rowan, hornbeam, Platanus (sycamore), maples
> > (Acer) and alder just to name the obvious ones. All of these genera are
> > to be found right across the globe east of greater Europe; Turkey,
> > across to alpine Pakistan and India. Russia which goes from east to west
> > has Larch at least. In New Zealand, the native tree fuchsia and some
> > Plagianthus species do, and Nothofagus in the spring when it loses its
> > leaves.
> >
> > In parts of NZ and Australia (Canberra for example) good-colouring
> > species from both China/Japan and North America (and elsewhere) are
> > planted as ornamentals for their autumn colour display. I was in
> > Canberra in Easter 1964 and the colours were stunning. (Mostly
> > Liquidambar and oaks, I think). And Liriodendron.
> >
> > Brian Swale.

Brian Swale. Daytime phone +64 03 449 2277
  http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/
  http://www.brianswale.com
           Mobile 021 143 4249
73 Fache Street, Clyde 9330, New Zealand