[OM] OT: the Nykon "compact" won the competition -- a re-think

Subject: [OM] OT: the Nykon "compact" won the competition -- a re-think
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:00:59 +0000
I'm on the point of returning the P7000 (it was a demo model anyway and I've
put only around 50 counts on the shutter).

It is very slow to write to the card with RAW (NRW) files.  It means that I
cannot take a shot and follow it with a better one (a bit like strafing,
really, watch where the rounds strike then then adjust your aim ;-)).  For
example, yesterday I took a snatch-shot of some geese in formation overhead and
then tried to zoom for a better shot to no avail as the thing was writing to
the card.

In addition, the display is slow to update with menu items. A firmware update
might be on the cards, but I cannot see how code can speed up the card-writing
bit.  It's a real shame as the camera is a good looker, feels right, has a good
telephoto range and has good menus and displays.

So now it's a choice between the LX5 and the G12.  If I get the LX5 I would
sell my LX3 .  .  .

Chris