Re: [OM] Were any hoods or cases included with OM lens purchase?

Subject: Re: [OM] Were any hoods or cases included with OM lens purchase?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 01:13:52 +1300
Hi all,

My first OM was an OM10 with Zuiko 50/1.4, bought  for me in Hong Kong
by my sister who was on her way to the Himalayas with her husband to be,
on one of their many trips there. She actually had instruction to buy an OM2
but the shop ( was probably a tourist shop) persuaded her that such a
sophisticated camera was not necessary (I had done my homework and
knew what I wanted). I didn't find out until she got back and I was delivered
the camera after she had used it (as agreed). It cost $400 NZ and I still have
it; it takes fine photos. It wasn't until about 5 years later that I was able
buy an OM2 with 50/1.8, for $620 NZ. Both had camera cases and lens
hoods I think, but no lens cases.

Since then I have bought second-hand the 24/2.8 for which I have a case,
100/2.8 ditto (2), 200/4 ditto, and at least one 50/1.8. I bought the 35-105
and the 100-200/5 new and these came in bags. The 85-250 and 35-70 2nd
hand came in bags.
The 300/4.5 lives in a bag.
For many of my lenses I have acquired hard cases, often Canyon and
Nykon, and they live in them, in a plastic hard-shell small suitcase I bought
for the purpose.
It must be a side-product of living in places with low atmospheric humidity,
but I have no problem with mould on these cases. Recently I found mould
on the leather case of my Contaflex, but this was due to me storing it in an
unsuitable place.

Some years ago we had a discussion here about mould in lenses. In my
opinion as a person trained in botany ( amongst other subjects) I point out
that the spores of fungi are *everywhere* in the atmosphere, and get inside
lenses due to the pumping action that takes place during focussing. These
spores can not somehow wriggle their way into a lens some other way. They
rely on air movement to carry them in. I have not seen any paper which
describes the species of fungi which will germinate on the glass of lenses,
but since the problem is common in the tropics, doubtless the research has
been done. (Must Google it some time).
It is quite plausible that exposing the insides of lenses to the UV light of
direct sunlight could kill off germinating spores.
Whether or not the cases of lenses constitute a fungus infection danger to
the lens inside by depositing spores on the lens exterior, must surely
depend on the storage conditions that prevail ( high atmospheric humidity in
mind).
I'm happy to take the risk, knowing that the cases protect the lenses from
physical damage in transit, whether that be on my back-pack, the rough
camera bags I use, or in a vehicle..

IMHO

Brian Swale.