Re: [OM] 1. Were any hoods or cases included with OM lens purchase?

Subject: Re: [OM] 1. Were any hoods or cases included with OM lens purchase?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 15:32:24 -0700
On 10/31/2010 1:09 PM, George Shihanian wrote:
> Theyre probably lying in a box in the original purchasers attic, long
> forgotten.

It does amaze me when the box for some long gone thing turns up in basement or
garage, in perfect condition.

> I agree with Bill that they are fungus factories. That's probably the answer
> when we come across a seemingly unused "pristine" lens that upon closer
> inspection we notice it has fungus and scratch our heads and wonder "how dud
> this happen?"

I think that depends a lot on climate. A quick count shows 11 Zuikos residing
in their Zuiko cases. I've bought cases of
fungus, although not in Zuikos, but none have developed here. Just took a
quick, random check of four of them. Bits of
dust, a floater or two in my eye, but not a sign of fungus.

I seem to recall that you thought the 24/2.8 you bought from me in box and hard
case had fungus, but your repairman said
it was only dust - and cleaned it off for free?

Cool and low humidity means no fungus. As long as everything is nice and dry, I
don't see how the case would contribute
to fungus trouble.

I do have one closet backing up to a bathroom that would be problematic, but
the camera gear gets nowhere near there.

Moose