Re: [OM] iPhone et al

Subject: Re: [OM] iPhone et al
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:06:03 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 10/29/2010 6:59 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
>> As Chris pointed out, Apple-Q will do the trick.
>
> As will Alt-F4 in Windoze. And I'll freely admit the Mac keyboard shortcut is
> the more intuitive of the two.

There's probably a way to do this in Windows as well, but you can easily re-map
ANY keypress via the Keyboard System Preference. You can make your Mac quit any
application with Alt-F4 if you choose.

> Not saying there is anything wrong with Macs or their OS. Only that this
> aspect of it is inconsistent with their claims
> to be open and intuitive to operate.

It's not so clear which behaviour we should call less open and less intuitive.
Closing a window quits an application is supposed to be "open and intuitive?" I
find it the opposite! Closing a window means closing a window -- no more, no
less! THAT seems more "open and intuitive" to me.

(As I pointed out earlier, there are Mac apps where closing the window *does*
quit the application. But these are always applications -- like System
Preferences -- that do not allow more than one window open, and that do not
have "New" or "Open" options.)

What you're used to colours your opinions. Those who have always "known" that
closing a window closes the application can't imagine the usefulness of any
other way, but I often will close the last window of an application, then use
"File --> Open..." (CMD-O) or "File --> New" (CMD-N) to start working on
something else -- an option that is denied me in Windows. In Windows, I have to
navigate the file hierarchy to find the file I want to open, or use the "Start"
menu.

I'll go along with your statement if you preface it with "Lacking other
experience, in my opinion..." But otherwise, my experience leads me to think of
the Mac window closing behaviour as *more* open and intuitive.

But we are all products of our experience, no?