Re: [OM] (OM) Filters binding on the front of a lens

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Filters binding on the front of a lens
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:10:46 +1300
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Rubber band and PTFE tape as well as electricians tape should be useful;
provided that the binding occurs when I'm at home and not somewhere
miles from civilisation.

And to Andrew who reminded me of the structure of graphite - I had
forgotten about how those slippery plates worked.

I also thought of providing traction on the front ring (pulling away from
camera) while trying gently to rotate the rear ring.

I think I will apply graphite powder in minute amounts using a very fine
artist's brush. It won't migrate if applied that way.

Which reminds me; maybe graphite grease is another viable alternative.

I once sent my OM4Ti to the Olympus service centre and it came back with
a thin layer of black grease on the lens mounting ring. I presume this was
graphite grease. The problem with sliding metal to metal surfaces as when
mounting lenses, is that with some metals binding occurs (as when a car
motor seizes). Lens mounting was ever so smooth after that, and the
'grease' never caused me any problem

Brian Swale.