Re: [OM] Portait Redux, The Sequel

Subject: Re: [OM] Portait Redux, The Sequel
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 14:37:41 -0500
Chuck, you are exactly right. I had the PC cord attached, but not
attached to the camera. During the pre-test with the DMC-L1 I was
using the hot-shoe to PC socket adaptor. Doing it that way increases
range a little bit because the PC cord acts as an antenna. But I
needed the adaptor for one of my flashes, so I finished up my testing
with the E-1. For the portrait session I plugged it straight into the
hot-shoe of the camera and let the cord hang.

Dumb.

Just tested the theory and it is 100% repeatable.

The ebay triggers have served me well. I was hoping to get one season
out of them and they've lasted four? I bought three sets of them and
pretty much only one transmitter still works worth a hoot. This
morning I trashed the PC socket on one of the receivers (the 1/4" plug
is fine, though).

Oh, for the location shoot I used two 285HV and one T45 flash. Scene
was a dam which provided a nice waterfall background. The setting sun
lit the waterfall and the people were lit with the flashes. Later on,
at a foot bridge the three flashes were used to light up quite the
extensive distance of the footbridge. The challenge was positioning
and balancing the light so the bridge railing closest to the camera
wasn't bright and the distant railing dim.The three flashes were moved
and zoomed to provide near perfect lighting balance.

My new FlashBender worked out perfectly!  As soon as I can afford to,
I will be buying two more of them. Hmm. Maybe three more if I can get
the Metz to work. In my $20 garage junk box purchase there was a Metz
and a 285 in there. I'm always game for another bit of portable
horsepower.  BTW, did you know that the T45 is essentially two-stops
brighter than the 285HV?

AG