[OM] OFF LIST - was: Linux/PhotoShop question

Subject: [OM] OFF LIST - was: Linux/PhotoShop question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:31:57 -0400
I've been thinking some more about your comment about using Windows
where personal data is at risk.  In particular I get very concerned
about our bank and investment accounts.

So, I have downloaded the Ubuntu Linux boot/install image and burned
that to CD.  I've also booted once from it and it looks fairly straight
forward except that a lot of time will be needed to get it set up
properly.  I think I'm also going to clone the boot drives before making
a dual boot installation just in case something goes wrong.  However, my
only real concern at the moment is installing it on our one laptop so it
can be used to do those secure on-line transactions with the banks and
investment houses.  I want to put it on the laptop since we take that to
Florida with us (as our only computing device) when we leave New York
for the winter.

While not specific to Linux I realized that I need some basic grounding
in internet security.  I don't even know, for example, if, when I'm
using a public (or even my own private) wi-fi connection if the
transmission between my computer and the wi-fi router is encrypted or
totally open.  I do have encryption enabled on my own router and assume
it's probably safe but don't know for sure if all transmissions are
encrypted.  Because of that I never do secure transactions other than at
home and over a wire to the router.  But I do sometimes check my email
vie wi-fi at hotels while traveling so perhaps am exposing my email
password to compromise.

Can you recommend a good source for some basic education in security
needs when on the net?  Also anything for Linux in particular?

Thanks,
Chuck